Write 5x more but write 5x less
There are 2 things I have come to believe about writing:
- The average person should write 5x more things than they do.
- The average written thing should be 5x shorter than it is.
See? Write 5x more but write 5x less. Write more often, but make each thing you write shorter.
I don’t care what it is. Blog posts. Novels. Google docs. Articles. Wiki pages. Write more of them, but make them shorter.
Why write more often?
- Because writing helps thinking.
- Because practice will make you better.
- Because writing is more shareable than speaking.
- Because humans are worse than computers at storing knowledge.
- Because writing your old thoughts frees your brain to think of new thoughts.
Why make them shorter?
- Because the shorter it is, the more people will read it.
- Because of the Pareto principle: 80% of the value is in 20% of the length (hence “5x shorter”).
So write more, but write less.
Originally published at http://critter.blog on October 2, 2020.